A picnic classic. Why compromise a food you enjoy just because you don’t want to be eating deep-fat-fried food? I’m adamant that there is a healthier alternative for every meal, and I will endeavour to find them all…
I made this as a weekday main meal and bulked it out with this vegetable salad, because a salad doesn’t just have to be a sad pile of leaves. This is a recipe that you can also pop in the fridge for another day, so why not make a few?!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Egg White
- 6 Sausages, de-skinned (I use Heck Paprika Chicken!)
- 1 Handful of Fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- Breadcrumbs (I made my own by blitzing a slice of wholemeal bread and a sprinkle of Parmesan!)
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- Mixed Babyleaf Lettuce
- 1 Handful of Sugarsnap Peas
- 1 Red Pepper, chunked
- 1 Handful of Baby Plum Tomatoes
- 2 Spring Onions, finely sliced lengthways
- 60g Sweetcorn (I use Green Giant!)
- 0.5 Fresh Red Chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 4 tbsp Reduced-fat Mayonnaise
- 0.5 tsp Sundried Tomato and Garlic Paste
Soft-boiled Egg Method:
- Bring a pan of water to the boil (enough water to cover the eggs!).
- Reduce the heat to low to gently place the eggs in the water. Then, turn the heat back up to a boil.
- Set a timer and cook the eggs for 6.5 mins (for jammy yolks!).
- Once the eggs have cooked, immediately place them in an ice water bath (to stop them from cooking!).
- Once cooked, gently remove shells.
- Mix together sausage-meat, parsley, mixed herbs and egg white. Season.
- Divide mixture into 2 equal portions, then use your hands to pat each portion into a flat disc.
- Place an egg on top of each disc, then press the mixture around the eggs to cover them completely.
- Roll the eggs lightly in flour and then roll in breadcrumbs to coat the surface.
- Chill for 10 mins or longer in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius (fan oven).
- Put the eggs on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 mins, or until golden.
- Chop peppers and put on baking tray with tomatoes. Spray with frying and sprinkle with garlic granules and season. Roast in oven until soft and blistered.
- Stir-fry sugarsnap peas in small frying pan.
- Assemble cold and hot salad elements.
- Mix 40g mayonnaise with 1 tsp of sundried tomato paste. Mix well.
- Assemble all of the elements to serve!
I would love to hear what you think of the recipe or if you give the recipe a go!
“Eating good food is my favourite thing in the whole world. Nothing is more blissful.” – Justine Larbalestier