I finally feel like I have settled into my new London home and I have now finished school until September so, I have a lot of free time on my hands! This can only mean one thing… more blogging and definitely more experimenting with new recipes!
I have adapted the calorific classic dish to create a balanced, could be vegan and gluten-free, Mac ‘n’ Cheese! After all, summer is looming and, quel surprise, I’m not ready for it…
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 0.5 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 handful of Mushrooms, sliced
- 0.5 Red pepper, diced
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 60g Sweetcorn (I use Green Giant always!)
- 3 tsp Caramelised Onion Chutney
- 130g Pasta (it doesn’t have to be macaroni!)
- 0.5 Butternut Squash, peeled and diced
- 30g Cheddar Cheese/ vegan alternative
- Parmesan/ vegan alternative, optional to serve!
- Boil butternut squash in a saucepan of salted water until soft.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water, according to packet instructions.
- Then, fry all vegetables (expect spinach) in Frylight until soft and golden.
- Add caramelised onion chutney and spinach and fry until spinach has wilted.
- Once butternut squash is soft, transfer to food processor with a few spoonfuls of remaining water and cheddar cheese/ vegan alternative and blend until smooth consistency (add more water if it’s too thick!).
- Season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper and blend again.
- Drain pasta, leaving a small amount of residual pasta water to keep the pasta silky.
- Add vegetables and butternut squash sauce to pasta and stir until well combined.
- Season with black pepper and finely grated Parmesan/ vegan alternative!
I would love to hear what you think of the recipe or if you give the recipe a go!
“First we eat, then we do everything else.” – M.F.K. Fisher